UK: Tony Blackburn will return to the BBC next year. Blackburn, that was let go just earlier this year, returns to the corporation to present an hour long show on Friday evenings and shows on local radio.
In a statement from the BBC, Blackburn says he is returning after what has been a difficult year for him personally.
The BBC stands by the findings of Dame Janet Smith and the decision it made to take Tony Blackburn off air at the start of this year based on Dame Janet’s Smith’s preference for the documentary evidence relating to meetings that took place over Tony Blackburn’s statements.
Tony Blackburn for his part stands by his statements to Dame Janet Smith but recognises that the BBC considered a period off air was appropriate.
Tony Blackburn says: “I do not seek to criticise the BBC for decisions it has made in the past. I have had a difficult year personally, but I’m pleased to be returning to the BBC and can’t wait to get behind the mic again.”
There will be no further comment.
BBC Press Office